Xeloda 500 Mg Tablet:-
Xeloda is an anti-cancer (antineoplastic or cytotoxicÃƒâ€šÃ‚) chemotherapy drug. Xeloda is classified as an antimetabolite. (For more detail, see How Xeloda Works section below).
What Xeloda Is Used For:
- Metastatic colon or rectal cancer
- Metastatic breast cancer
How Xeloda Is Given:
Taken as a pill by mouth.
Take after food (within 30 minutes of a meal) with water. (Usually taken in a divided dose 12 hours apart).
Tablets come in 2 sizes; 150mg and 500mg.
Do not crush, chew or dissolve tablets.
The amount of Xeloda that you will receive depends on many factors, including your height and weight, your general health or other health problems, and the type of cancer or condition being treated. Your doctor will determine your dose and schedule.
Xeloda Side Effects:
- Hand -foot syndrome (Palmar-plantar erythrodysesthesia or PPE) -skin rash, swelling, redness, pain and/or peeling of the skin on the palms of hands and soles of feet. Usually mild, has started as early as 2 weeks after start of treatment. May require reductions in the dose of the medication.
- Nausea and vomiting
- Elevated liver enzymes (increased bilirubin levels) (see liver problems).
These Xeloda side effects are less common side effects (occurring in about 10-29%) of patients receiving Xeloda:
- Poor appetite
- Abdominal pain
- Low white blood cell count. (This can put you at increased risk for infection).
- Low platelet count. (This can put you at increased risk for bleeding).
- Mouth sores
- Numbness or tingling of hands or feet
- Swelling of the feet and ankles
- Eye irritation (watery eyes, inflammation of the eyelids, redness).
- Shortness of breath
- Chest, back, muscle, joint, bone pain (see pain)
- Insomnia (see sleep disturbances)
- Blood clots. (Blood clots rarely can lead to pulmonary embolus or stroke ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¢ÃƒÆ’Ã‚¢Ãƒ¢Ã¢â€š¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’Ã‚¢Ãƒ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã¢â‚¬Å“ potentially life-threatening conditions).
- Excessive sleepiness, confusion, very rare seizures (see central neurotoxicity).
- Loss of balance
- Nail changes, darkening of the skin (see skin reactions)
- Taste changes